At Dog Is Good we believe you should never walk alone. That’s why we LOVE “Walk Your Dog Day” (February 22). We put together our favorite reasons to walk your dog. Tell us why you love walking your dog and some of your favorite places to walk. We’d also love to hear why you think walking builds the bond you have with your dog.
Pet parents know physical and emotional activities help fur babies thrive. Playing fetch, hiking, running or giving your dog food puzzles are great for physical and emotional health.
Reasons To Walk Your Dog
We know some areas of the country will still be snowed in or dealing with freezing temperatures, but you can still walk your dog. Put your dog in boots. Treat your dog’s paws with a protective paw balm. Dress your dog in a coat to keep him or her warm and get walking!
Why should you walk your dog?
- It will keep your dog healthy. Obesity in dogs is becoming more common. Keep your dog physically active and you will keep her healthier longer. All pet parents want their dogs to live long lives, and physical activity is key.
- Your dog loves the scents. Sniffing is the way your dog experiences life. Taking a walk means he can sniff out interesting scents (some he may want to roll in!) Whether he runs along with his nose to the ground, or sniffs the air, he is getting mental stimulation and that is as good as the physical exercise.
- You will get healthier. Let’s face it, we live sedentary lives. If you get up and get moving, you will be getting healthy right along with your dog.
- Exploring new places together is exciting. Jump in the car and find a new place to explore with your dog. You will both enjoy experiencing this together.
- Walk with friends! You and your dog can have “walking dates” with a friend. Your dogs will benefit from the socialization. You will benefit from the socialization. It’s a win-win!
Other fun reasons to walk your dog include:
- You’ll get to show off your beautiful pup!
- You can work on positive reinforcement training while you’re walking.
- It’s a great way to help your dog lose weight, or maintain a healthy weight.
Pack these accessories for your dog walk:
- A water bottle
- A water bowl for your pup
- A sturdy leash and harness or collar
- Poo bags
- Unique items you like to have with you
Show us photos of you and your dog out on a dog walk today or on Walk Your Dog Day!
Robbi Hess, Woman In The Pet Industry Solopreneur Finalist and award-winning author, is multi-petual. When not caring for her pets or taking them on walks, she is a speaker, efficiency and effectiveness guru, content creator, social media manager and blogger. She writes at All Words Matter, My Divas Dish, and is the story editor and chief cat herder at Positively Woof/Crimeless Cat.