If you are a dog mom or dog dad, how many times have you uttered the phrase “what’s in your mouth?” Yes, dogs do not have discerning tastes when it comes to gulping things that could quite be poisonous to them. March 20 -26 is National Animal Poison week. This was created for awareness on educating pet owners on what can poison their pet, identifying signs of poisoning and how to prevent poisoning.
Can I Have A Taste?
Every bite you take, every snack you make, your dog will be watching you! Food is a common culprit for pet poisoning. Did you know that these foods and household items can be toxic to your dog?
- Citrus. If ingested in significant amounts, it can cause stomach upset or even nervous system depression.
- Grapes and Raisins. Although it’s unknown what the toxic substance is, the fruit can cause kidney failure.
- Nuts. Almonds, pecans, and walnuts contain high amounts of fat and can cause pancreatitis in pets.
- Onions and Garlic. These can cause gastrointestinal issues or even red blood cell damage.
- Xylitol. An articial sweetener found in many candies and peanut butter.
- Chocolate. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate can result in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death.
- Fertilizers, Pest Control. The chemicals are poisonous and toxic for your pets.
- Human Medications. What is okay for you is not okay for your dog and can lead to sudden death.
Check out a full list of toxic items for your pet.
What To Look For?
It’s all fun and games until your dog starts vomiting on the Persian rug. If you suspect your dog has eaten something poisonous, call you local emergency vet right away. Here are symptoms of possible poisoning:
- Diarrhea or bloody stool
- Excessive urination
- Loss of appetite
- Unusual behavior
- Loss of coordination
- Unusual breathing patterns or heartbeat
Check out more symptoms of dog poisoning here.
Whether your dog was counter-surfing or digging in the garden, if you suspect your dog has been poisoned, act urgently. Your vet may instruct you to do emergency procedures to dilute the poison. They may tell you to induce vomiting. Seeking treatment immediately by a professional will be life-saving for your dog. Different poisons require different solutions. Always talk to you vet first so you don’t make the situation worse.
If your vet is unavailable, you can contact the ASPCA’s poison control here or the Pet Poison Helpline here.
Whether you have a inquisitive puppy or a big mutt, poisoning can happen at any age. As a dog lover, be prepared. Have your vet’s number stored in your phone. Have the steps in place in case of emergency. Make a plan for what, when, how just in case you need it.