March 23 is National Puppy Day! We believe that any day that you see a puppy is “national puppy day” don’t you agree? Colleen Paige is credited with starting the National Puppy Day movement in 2006. She’d previously founded National Dog Day and National Cat Day and wanted to create National Puppy Day to call upon people to adopt from shelters instead of puppy mills, as well as help orphaned puppies around the world. How to celebrate National Puppy Day is something we are looking forward to sharing with you!
“Puppies are the most trusting and joyous creatures on the planet.
Oh, to be more like a puppy.” – Colleen Paige
How To Celebrate National Puppy Day
Are you looking to expand your family and welcome a new puppy home? If so, here are ways to celebrate your new, furry family member.
- Buy some toys for your new puppy. Puppies love to chew and if you give them toys to chew on, they might not chew your shoes.
- Give your puppy love and attention. We know this is easy to do, but we just wanted to say it!
- Walk your puppy. Puppies thrive on exercise and a tired puppy is a happy puppy. When you adopt a puppy you will never walk alone because when you grab that leash you will having a happy, willing companion by your side.
- Let your puppy sleep in your bed. Well, you may want your puppy to be house-trained first, but once that happens, let your dog share your bed with you. It’s comforting for them and we love the idea of never having to sleep alone if you have a dog or puppy in your life.
- Use positive reinforcement training with your puppy. Puppies learn through praise for the good behaviors they exhibit. You can use positive reinforcement with treats and/or praise. A “good boy/girl” or a hug or an ear rub is what your dog wants from you!
If you can’t adopt a puppy, here are other ways to celebrate puppies on National Puppy Day.
- Visit a local shelter and play with the puppies. Take some time too and walk the older dogs. After all, a day spent with puppies is never wasted!
- Offer to pet sit a friend’s new puppy. Puppies can be a handful, and they need plenty of attention! Offer to watch your friends puppy while they head out for the day. You’ll be sure to get your puppy fix!
- Volunteer to walk the neighbor’s puppy in the middle of the day while they’re at work. While dog walking companies like Rover and Wag have become mainstream, there is still something to be said about offering a neighborly hand! Who wouldn’t want to spend some time bonding with a puppy!
- Buy some toys or treats or dog beds for puppies in shelters. This one is easy! Every puppy deserves a warm blanket to snuggle up with, right?! Head over to your local shelter and bring the gift the warmth with you!
- Share a photo of adoptable dogs and puppies from the local shelter to help them find forever homes. The dog lover dating app, DIG Dates, features adoptable pups and helps you get a date! Check out their feed to help spread awareness.
How will you celebrate National Puppy Day?
We want to see your Puppy Day pics! Connect with us on social media and share your puppy love story using #dogisgood. Then share this post, How To Celebrate National Puppy Day, with your dog lover friends so they can celebrate the little things too!
Robbi Hess, award-winning author, is multi-petual. When not caring for her pets or taking them on walks, she is a speaker, efficiency and effectiveness guru, content creator, social media manager and blogger. She writes at All Words Matter, My Divas Dish, and is the story editor and chief cat herder at Positively Woof/Crimeless Cat.