It’s a new year, a new decade and a chance for a fresh start with your dog! How to celebrate 2020 with your dog is something we’ve been thinking about. We know pet parents are always looking for new, exciting ways to spend time with their fur babies and to enhance the time they are together.
At Dog Is Good we know that when you have a fur baby by your side (a dog or a cat!) you never walk, camp or sleep alone.
We have come up with some of our favorite ways to celebrate 2020 with your dog. There are many pet-centric holidays in January that you can incorporate into the time you spend with your pet and here are a few: Train Your Dog Month, Walk Your Pet Month, Answer Your Cat’s Question Day (Jan. 22) and Change A Pet’s Life Day (Jan. 24) among others.
How To Celebrate 2020 With Your Dog
We’d love it if you’d leave comments below or on our Facebook page with ways in which you will celebrate this new year with your dog!
- Train your dog. Believe it or not, dogs love to be trained! Why? Because when they are learning something new or perfecting a trick, they are spending quality time with you. Also, our dogs love to make us happy!
- Walk your dog. There is nothing better than a walk with your dog. Even if the weather is chilly or snowy, you can still take a walk; it might just need to be shorter than you normally would. Give your dog time to sniff and explore where you’re out walking. Taking a walk with your dog is a great stress reliever for you and will help both of you get, and stay, in shape (in case that was a New Year’s Resolution of yours)
- Give your dog treats. When you’re training your dog, offer positive reinforcement and delicious, nutritious treats.
- Dress your dog. Some dogs absolutely love to be dressed and if yours does, treat him or her to a new outfit for when you’re out taking a walk.
- Take your pet to the vet. It may not be fun, and your dog may not consider it a celebration, but making sure your pet is healthy is an ideal way to kick off the new year.
- Do something new. Take your dog camping. Go on a road trip to somewhere you’ve never gone before.
- Snuggle your pup. Okay, we know that isn’t something you need to be told to do, but sometimes it’s hard to take the time to simply relax, snuggle in with your dog and enjoy being together. Make “celebrating time together” a resolution for the new year.
What will you and your dog do this new year to celebrate your bond?
Robbi Hess, Woman In The Pet Industry Solopreneur Finalist and award-winning author, is multi-petual. When not caring for her pets or taking them on walks, she is a speaker, efficiency and effectiveness guru, content creator, social media manager and blogger. She writes at All Words Matter, My Divas Dish, and is the story editor and chief cat herder at Positively Woof/Crimeless Cat.