It’s “nearly” FALL y’all. If Starbucks can release the Pumpkin Spice Latte for dog moms and dog dads, then we can talk pumpkin for you dog! We know you aren’t going to skip the pup cup when you get your PSL, but did you know that pumpkin is a superfood for dogs?
Yes! Pumpkin is considered a superfood. Particularly, it contains essential micronutrients and fiber that make it a very nutritious treat. In addition to being a natural stomach soother, pumpkin also helps to remove excess water in a dog’s digestive tract. Additional benefits of pumpkin:
- Pumpkin is low in calories
- The pulp of a pumpkin is high in anti-oxidants, that supports eye health and healthy skin and coat.
- Pumpkin is a natural prebiotic that promotes good gut health.
- Pumpkin has beneficial fiber that can be an easy home remedy for both diarrhea and constipation.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in omega fatty acids.
Can you feed your dog pumpkin every day? Yes! Of course, start with a very small serving of cooked pumpkin, working up to no more than 1 teaspoon (per 10 lbs. of body weight). For small dogs, that max amount might mean ½ teaspoon per day, while bigger dogs can safely eat 1-4 tablespoons per day. Specifically, make sure you are buying canned (unsweetened) cooked or pureed pumpkin. You can mix it directly into their wet or dry food. In addition, when you add pumpkin to your dog’s daily diet, you are helping maintain a healthy weight because the fiber in pumpkin makes your dog feel fuller.
Things to avoid for your dog when introducing pumpkin in their diet:
- Raw pumpkin can lead to upset stomachs.
- Pumpkin Pie mix contains spices and sugar.
- Everything in moderation. Therefore, start with a very small amount and slowly introduce this superfood into their diet. Always consult your veterinarian before changing your dog’s meal plan.
If you want to incorporate pumpkin into your dog’s diet, check out these fun, dog-friendly pumpkin recipes:
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Cookies
Pumpkin Dog Treats
Easy Pumpkin Dog Treats
Pumpkin Banana Dog Treats
Pumpkin and Yogurt Bowl