Calling all dog lovers! Time to celebrate the awesomeness of being a pet parent! Yes, there’s an actual pet holiday that honors the special relationship that a dog mom or dog dad has with their four-legged kid. The last Sunday of April is the holiday to commemorate your role as a pet parent.
A History Lesson
What is the back story to this most amazing day? Just over a decade ago, this holiday was created by a pet insurance company in 2007. The reason was that policy holders felt that their fur kids were a recognized members of their family, human and canine. So the idea was born to celebrate the bond between the pet and their dog mom and dog dad with a special day.
Did you know…
1. Forty-five percent of U.S. dogs sleep in their owner’s bed. Yes, of course, we at Dog Is Good know all about that! Never Sleep Alone
2. Human blood pressure goes down when petting a dog. And so does the dog’s. Dog Is My Zen
3. According to the Guinness World Records, a Mastiff named Zorba is the world’s overall largest dog ever. Zorba weighed 343 pounds and measured over eight feet from his nose to his tail. He’s been described as being about the size of a small donkey. We like Big Mutts!
4. A dog’s sense of smell is legendary, but did you know that his nose has as many as 300 million receptors? In comparison, a human nose has about 5 million. That’s also why they can smell the coffee brewing and alert you to breakfast before you! Coffee and My Dog
5. Dogs curl up in a ball when sleeping to protect their organs—a hold over from their days in the wild, when they were vulnerable to predator attacks. No Dog Left Behind
6. There are over 75 million pet dogs in the U.S., more than in any other country. We are a nation of Dog Lovers.
7. If never spayed or neutered, a female dog, her mate, and their puppies could produce over 66,000 dogs in 6 years! Don’t forget to spay and neuter: Fun ‘n Games
8. Sergeant Stubby was a dog and the unofficial mascot of the 102nd Infantry Regiment and was assigned to the 26th Division in World War I. He served for 18 months and participated in 17 battles on the Western Front. Now that was a Patriotic Dog!
9. 87% of dog owners say their dog curls up beside them or at their feet while they watch TV. We see you Dog Dads!
10. 70% of people sign their pet’s name on greeting and holiday cards. 58% of people put pets in family and holiday portraits. We know it’s the Dog Mom who’s responsible for this!
What will you do to celebrate this day with your pup? Extra long walk? Bacon for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Couch snuggles all day? New dog toy? Whatever you decide, we know your pup will love you unconditionally, because that’s what they do. We don’t deserve dogs. Stress relievers, comedians, security system, co-workers, best friends. Most importantly, they keep us happy.